CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: basic machine design for CNC machines

Posted by r_fl_z@h...
on 2000-10-21 12:54:01 UTC
Dennis:

Thanks. I've seen all those pictures. Check your server logs, I've
been living on your site, studying your designs for as much detail as
I could extract, hehehe. Unfortunately, I can't see enough to glean
all of the necessary details.

Funny how much info there is on the net about motor control for CNC
machines, but I find virtually no data on the very basic mechanical
design required to implement a machine, i.e. guide rail, linear
bearing, and lead screw installations. While it seems this is common
knowledge amoung CNCers, I've found it very difficult to locate.

I've been hopeing that some kind sole could recommend a good
mechanical design reference, meanwhile since I'm new to this List, I
am reading the archives to try to come up to speed (up to message
#5000 at this point :}

I am also trying to locate Seattle area CNCers, as I think 5 minutes
of conversation or actually seeing a machine or two, would answer all
of my questions.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Ron

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Dennis Bohlke" <dbohlke@h...>
wrote:
> I got lots of pictures on my website.
>
> The main page is http://www.super-tech.com
> Short cut URL's
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/rr.htm
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/rmk60x60.htm
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/rmk2515m.htm
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/rmkpix.htm
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/robokit.htm
> http://www.super-tech.com/root/movies/default.asp
>
> Enjoy!
>
> > Does anyone know of a reference, design guide or mechanical
design
> > book, that details how the common elements of a CNC setup are
> > assembled? I'm finding the location of this basic information to
be
> > extremely difficult.
> >
> > I have learned about steppers, drivers, controllers, and the
required
> > software without difficulty, but cannot locate information on
such
> > details as: how are the linear bearings retained? How is the
thrust
> > bearing normally retained? How are the guide rails fixed at the
> > ends? How is the lead screw joined to the stepper? Anyone have
> > links to actual drawings of these basic machine details, perhaps
> > showing the actual hardware stackup? I have no machines I can go
> > look at to answer these questions.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion Thread

r_fl_z@h... 2000-10-20 23:46:58 UTC basic machine design for CNC machines Dennis Bohlke 2000-10-21 07:27:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] basic machine design for CNC machines r_fl_z@h... 2000-10-21 12:54:01 UTC Re: basic machine design for CNC machines Phil Laliberte 2000-10-21 13:09:40 UTC Re: basic machine design for CNC machines Dennis Bohlke 2000-10-22 15:07:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: basic machine design for CNC machines r_fl_z@h... 2000-10-22 20:35:31 UTC Re: basic machine design for CNC machines