CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Which bearings should remove the thrust load?

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-10-29 13:02:14 UTC
Wally wrote:
<snip>The motor should be on the same end. The other end of your
>shaft should be a simple mount.

>It would take a great deal of engineering including metallurgy to
>get a rigid mount to work on both ends.

Wally,

Actually, the motor CAN go on EITHER end, but you are correct, it
USUALLY goes on the rigid mount end. I have seen designs where the
stepper/motor is USED as the SIMPLE mount! It actually works pretty
well, if the loads are appropriate for the motor. (I see motor
designers cringing out there :-) )

Rigid mounts on both ends are used by machining centers almost
exclusively. But you are right, it takes some good engineering to
make this work. And usually temperature control also.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

r_fl_z@h... 2000-10-29 01:13:31 UTC Which bearings should remove the thrust load? Wally K 2000-10-29 01:57:38 UTC Re: Which bearings should remove the thrust load? r_fl_z@h... 2000-10-29 01:23:35 UTC Re: Which bearings should remove the thrust load? ballendo@y... 2000-10-29 13:02:14 UTC Re: Which bearings should remove the thrust load?