CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gecko Servo Drive Choice

Posted by Terry May
on 2000-10-30 14:22:53 UTC
Tim,

Thanks again for your advise, I called today to order the G320's
and talked to Mariss, he shares your opinion that those will work
find for my setup.
Terry

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> Terry,
>
> With your configuration you should be just fine with the G320. Just
remember
> to use steppermod not freqmod and crank your cycle_time parameters
as low as
> they can go and still let the system run. BTW, the difference
between the 2
> stepper modules is that freqmod was created to more evenly space
the pulses
> to the driver. The servo driver doesn't care how even they are so
there is
> no functional difference in this application between the 2 in
regard to
> accuracy and precision. But, the lower overhead of steppermod will
allow you
> to crank out more steps per second.
>
> With the setup you are running you should be good to 180 ipm or
more!

> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
>
> > Tim,
> > I don't care if you aren't Mariss, I'll take help from anybody
8>)

> > The computer I'm planning to use is a 266Mhz Pent MMX (same one
you
> > helped me set up with Linux/EMC). High speed isn't a big issue
with
> > me, just want it to go to the right place reasonably quickly. My
> > ballscrews are 5 tpi, I was thinking 2:1 reduction, but only for
the
> > sprocket size, I'm not wedded to it.
> >
> > Sounds like with the slower computer I might be better off using
the
> > G340's, although you seemed to think it wouldn't matter much when
you
> > assumed a faster computer?? On the other hand, the encoder count
is
> > 200/800, which is less counts than you were thinking with your
> > example calculation.
> > Terry

Terry May 2000-10-28 11:18:43 UTC Gecko Servo Drive Choice Tim Goldstein 2000-10-28 12:05:55 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko Servo Drive Choice Terry May 2000-10-28 14:07:19 UTC Re: Gecko Servo Drive Choice Tim Goldstein 2000-10-28 14:43:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Servo Drive Choice Terry May 2000-10-30 14:22:53 UTC Re: Gecko Servo Drive Choice