CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help...Re: More Bridgport lube questions.

Lee Studley wrote:

> Jon,
> I found the spindle oil cup!!!, it had been ripped off in the process
> of moving and rotating the head, (talk about a bull in a china
> shop...) and was in a bag of parts I had.
> I removed the left-side cover of the mill head opposite the quill
> handle and found a clear tube that takes the cup/pipe holder oil
> 'path' to a right angle brass fitting into the side of the quill.
> That solves that mystery! Boy I'm glad I didnt go and fill the
> 'plug' area.
>
> Should I pour a small or certain amount of oil in the
> drain plug area?
>
> I'm using Mobil velocite #6 spindle oil. (they had a #10 also, but
> I wasnt sure which to get).

I'm no expert at all on the Series II. I've seen them at auctions,
but that is about as close as I've ever gotten to one.

But, looking in the catalog, it indicates the 4J head has permanently
grease-packed spindle bearings! Then it notes the quill is oiled by a wick,
ways and screws lubed every 107 minutes by auto lube.

There definitely is a back gear (low range) mechanism, and I suspect
the plug is for that section. I don't know what to lube that with, but
it may well be a different lube. If you put light spindle oil in there,
it may start raining (oil) in your shop! I hope you have some other
use for that Velocite oil, as it may have no use on the Series II
machine. You might see if there is a Bridgeport dealer in town
you can call.

Lee Studley 2000-11-02 14:18:40 UTC More Bridgport lube questions. Jon Elson 2000-11-02 14:43:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] More Bridgport lube questions. Lee Studley 2000-11-02 14:59:37 UTC Help...Re: More Bridgport lube questions. Jon Elson 2000-11-02 16:07:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help...Re: More Bridgport lube questions. Lee Studley 2000-11-02 17:00:25 UTC Help...Re: More Bridgport lube questions. Jon Elson 2000-11-02 22:51:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help...Re: More Bridgport lube questions.