CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: engraving spindles wasRe: Introduction - New to Group

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-11-08 18:29:20 UTC
Rab wrote:
>Is the MDX 15 limited like the 2300 to 'top-loading' tooling of
>about 4 to 5 inch long ? I'm looking at options to use a small chuck
>or collet so I can use 'Dremel' and similar type
>1/8" cutters and burrs.

Rab,

Look at Western engraving (Vision systems) and Centaur Spindles.

These are the two major players in the engraving spindle industry.
Others, like Newing-Hall and New Hermes, "make" replacement spindles
for their own stuff (which often come FROM centaur or vision!).

What you want is called top/bottom loading collet spindle.
About $3-600 , depending on form factor (outside shape and size).
Really nice, and will prob'ly drop right in to your (generally VERY)
proprietary Roland machine.

A cheap solution, which may "eat up" too much of your working area,
is the Scott engraving motor(about $130). Bottom loading,1/8 shank
tools.

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread