CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-11-09 11:45:38 UTC
Hi,

I may be a simple 'ol country guy but I was fairly sure that ANY
transformer - other than an Autotransformer - was an isolating transformer.
An Autotransformer definitely isn't as it has only one winding with
different tappings for the different voltages but any other transformer
which has separate windings for the primary and secondary provides
isolation. Where a transformer is used in the middle of a circuit as in
audio amplifiers etc., one end of each winding may be connected together on
the circuit board to give ground continuity but the transformer itself will
have isolated windings. The way to check is to put an Ohmmeter (multimeter
set to resistance scale) across the transformer's terminations - you should
get low readings across the primary and secondary windings and infinity
between the windings.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK
www.iw63.freeserve.co.uk
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Elson" <jmelson@...>

> Well, there it is! You need an external transformer to provide the
> AC input. The rectifier and cap are there, but no transformer!
>
> > Before doing that, however, I'd like to find out what an
> > isolation transformer is.

Discussion Thread

jmw@c... 2000-11-08 16:32:05 UTC servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-11-08 17:50:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments jmw@c... 2000-11-08 18:35:47 UTC Re: servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments Jon Elson 2000-11-08 22:37:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments Ian Wright 2000-11-09 11:45:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-11-09 15:14:50 UTC Re: servo amps, power supplies; addl endearments