CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: "New kid on the block"

Posted by Patrick Huss
on 1999-07-15 08:54:24 UTC
The simpler 3D laser scanners I have used are nothing more than laser range
finders. They have a laser and a camera(one piece unit), the laser shoots
directly down on the z-axis reflecting back to the camera at about
20degrees. The laser is mounted to the machine head and software
simultaneously tracks the x and y axes and calculates the z depth. This is
more time consuming than the more advanced 3D scanners, but it does the
trick. An important part of this system however, is the need to reduce the
data you don't need while maintaining the data that is vital to the form.
For example, a large flat area can be scanned at a very low resolution,
whereas an edge or pocket would require a much higher resolution to be
reproduced accurately. Since you would generally scan at one resolution, you
need software to reduce the data where you can. For those scanning with the
intention of using CNC to reproduce the piece, this method is IMHO the most
economical, because you can use your machine to control the laser movements.
One drawback is the "shadow" produced by the 20 degree reflection angle.
There are far more sophisticated systems that use moving lasers and camera
tracking, that are able to scan very rapidly, and depending on the software
can output anything from pointclouds to NURBS curves or NURBS surfaces.
These devices are much less expensive than they were even a year ago, but
require powerful computers to process the enormous amount of data generated.
Between the scanner and the computers, your looking at a hefty investment
for this type of setup.

Patrick Huss