CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: "New kid on the block"

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 1999-07-15 08:15:38 UTC
Welcome out of the closet Arne,

----- Original Message -----
From: Arne Chr. Jorgensen <instel@...>
> 5.
>
> I want to use the EMC software to run servo motors, not steppers.
> Is there anyone who has some schematics on servo amps ? I would
> like to make my own.
> There is also some problems, because my motors don't have any tacho
> generators. To get tighter servo loop, you need that. Does anyone
> have an idea how to make a tacho signal from the encoders ?
> I know about a chip that does this, but it will only work for sinus
> shaped encoder signals
> ( SGS L291) - any ideas ?

You may want to contact Jon Elson about this. He has desighned his own servo
amps and sells the PCB for them along with a little kit of parts. In his
design you use a small DC motor that you attach to your servo motor as a
tach. He has located a unit available from Herbach & Rademan for ~$8.00 each
that his testing show are about as good as the purpose built DC tach he has.
Check out his web page http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/CNCconv.html and
look toward the bottom for some picures of his Servo Amp.

> 6.
>
> What is a DRO ? - I guess it is a Digital Read Out device, - but
> what is EDM ?

EDM is Electrical Discharge Machining. Again, Jon comes to the rescue. He
made a mini-EDM system and was kind enough to put the details on his wab
site at http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/edm.html

Tim
[Denver, CO]

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-07-15 01:29:18 UTC "New kid on the block" Robert N Ash 1999-07-15 04:23:53 UTC Re: "New kid on the block" Tim Goldstein 1999-07-15 08:15:38 UTC Re: "New kid on the block" Patrick Huss 1999-07-15 08:54:24 UTC Re: "New kid on the block" Bob Bachman 1999-07-15 16:58:39 UTC Re: "New kid on the block" TADGUNINC@x... 1999-07-15 18:52:07 UTC Re: "New kid on the block" R.Dean, Nr Atlanta, GA 1999-07-16 07:04:07 UTC Re: "New kid on the block"