CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Netpliance/iOpener/Linux EMC host

Posted by Ken Jenkins
on 2000-11-15 16:53:15 UTC
> Subject: EMC capable flat panel linux box for $99
>
> Got your attention, huh? :)
>
> The link below shows the Netpliance surfing box. This unit, available
> on the street for $99, has a 10" lcd display, multiple forms of I/O
> including a parallel port, support for a HD, and is famous for being
> easily hacked into a Linux box.
>
> This looks like it might make a nifty EMC host.
>
> Watdayatink?
>
> http://www.netpliance.com/iopener/tour1.asp
>
> Ron

Well your almost right Ron. Yes they're cool. Yes they're cheap. Yes you can
set them up with a harddrive and run Linux on them ... However they're no
longer "easily hacked" ... Nor easily obtained for that matter. I have one
which I got for $99 before the company woke up and realized thousands of
hackers were buying their "lost leader" and not signing up for their
internet service (I'm working on turning mine into a DRO for my mill). I
think you'll find if you go to get one now that there are blood oaths and
credit card numbers required regarding the internet service if you want the
box. I could be wrong ... I haven't been following the saga real closely of
late.

Ken

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2000-11-15 16:53:15 UTC Re: Netpliance/iOpener/Linux EMC host