CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux NIC setup

Posted by Hugh Currin
on 2000-11-16 19:21:13 UTC
Ron:

At 09:05 PM 11/16/00 +0000, you wrote:

>Could someone supply, or point me toward a source for,
>detailed 'dummy level' instructions for setting up the linuxconf
>networking tabs for simple local PC to Linux ethernet? I've been
>through it, but cannot get it to work. No Linux install details are
>available on the vendors (Netgear) website.

I recently stumbled, and am still stumbling, through this myself. I
would try to relate what I've done but I'm not sure exactly what that
was. :-)

The linux How-To pages are of great help as already mentioned.
These are on the Internet and I think also on distribution disks.

For Red Hat 6.x I've found two references that have helped me. The
How To's are incredibly useful but it is nice to have references which
are more global. The two I tend to use most are:

Learning Red Hat Linux, Bill McCarty, O'Reilly Publications. Good
for beginners, like me. But as a novice book it skips some details that
are almost needed. (O'Reilly also publishes a mess of computer
related books, mostly on Unix (linux). Some five or ten on different
details of networking.)

Red Hat Linux Unleashed, David Pitts, Bill Ball, et al, Sams. A
really thick paperback with a good amount of detail. Initially this one
seemed too detailed and in depth but the more I poke at linux the more
I refer to it.

Both these, and the How-To's, are understandable but take a few
readings and some trial and error, at least at my level of expertice.

I am amazed how much information is available on the Internet
relating to Linux. From tutorial on up to esoteric. Pick a few terms
of interest and a good search engine, a few hours poking around will
yield many relevant sites.

I hope this is of some help to you and the list. And at least somewhat
on topic, can't run EMC without rtlinux, can't run rtlinux without linux. :-)

Hugh D. Currin, P.E.
Associate Professor & Chair
Manuf. & Mech. Engineering Technology
Oregon Institute of Technology
Klamath Falls, Oregon USA

currinh@...
541/885-1649

r_fl_z@h... 2000-11-16 13:05:04 UTC OT: Linux NIC setup Jon Elson 2000-11-16 14:18:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: Linux NIC setup dave engvall 2000-11-16 15:19:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: Linux NIC setup Hugh Currin 2000-11-16 19:21:13 UTC Re: Linux NIC setup r_fl_z@h... 2000-11-16 22:21:15 UTC Re: OT: Linux NIC setup dave engvall 2000-11-16 22:33:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: OT: Linux NIC setup