CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more R,P,Y and axes info wasRe[10]: emc really needs...

on 2000-11-21 15:19:19 UTC
Ballendo,

Again, Much Thanks for enduring my questions. As far as I can remember,
the three original motors on the mill are wired the same, cable,
connectors, driver box wiring and connectors. I can check that. As for
the rotary table's stepper, it would have made sense to wire it the same
(I bought an additional MaxNC motor to match the driver), HOWEVER,
certainly would explain a little.

More below :>)

ballendo@... wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Once the motor is turning the correct direction, it should not need
> to change. But...

The MaxNC code and motor wiring/... are fine (rotary table subs for Y,
wasn't sure WHICH way it SHOULD rotate).

> The maxNC setup includes a file with different possible phase
> outputs. This allows the S/W to match the wiring, rather than the
> other way 'round.

Useful thing to have, I believe I made all three run using the same
"phase code choice".

> It may be that the rotary table and axis are wired such that THEY are
> rotating opposite dir's (given the same phase or step/dir input). If
> that's the case change the coil connection (swap one coil end for > end)

That's SURELY a possibility, although I THOUGHT I would have wired them
the same! (I'll check it).

> to one of the motors so that you can switch from rotary table to mill
> table without resetting the S/W. Many of the S/W pkg's will let
> you "save" configs under different names to deal with this problem.
> Yes, CncPRO is one of them... :-)

That was my plan, I hate having to change config's (I'll forget).

> Second point. Remember that the +/- dirs are in RELATION TO TOOL
> MOVEMENT, NOT TABLE movement. On a sherline, when the table is coming
> towards you, the TOOL is moving in the +Y dir! When the table is
> moving towards the left, the TOOL is moving X+ . This can be
> confusing for some beginners. Remember, all CNC movement is "seen"
> from the TOOLs' perspective.

I think I've got that down, So is it tool movement on the rotary table
also, or rotation of the table?

> (More comments "mixed in" below)
>
> >Funny thing is, driving the motors for the three axis, It appears
> >that you can't always turn the motor the same way to get + axis
> >movement. That is, I THINK that's the case.
> <s>But I'm having to swap some of the directions (in my program)
> >for the key directions to come out right. I must have something
> >reversed somewhere. A + Y movement when used for the rotary table A
> axis appears to yield the reverse direction!
>
> >I probably just need a "sign table", so I can map directions at will.
>
> Yes. OR's work well for flippin' bits...

OR for 'C', we call it an "EXCLUSIVE OR" (up carat). A logical OR will
just set bits, and a logical AND will (can be used to) clear bits.
Don't remember what it was in BASIC, the words "AND", "OR" and ???
"XOR" ??

> >For handwheels, is clockwise always +?
>
> Never say always... The "manual" encoder wheels of commercial CNC
> machines use clockwise rotation to move an axis in the positive
> direction.
>
> >If you face a rotary table, is clockwise rotation always +?
>
> This is a tricky question. Depends on the setup. So I have to say NO.
>
> >It would seem that you'd want the table to turn clockwise if you
> >rotate the encoder clockwise, or push the right-hand arrow key, up
> >key, or page up key. Are these the favored keys?
>
> See answer above. Clockwise encoder rotation "should" move the AXIS
> in a POSITIVE direction. I prefer the keys you mentioned to the
> F,B,L,R,U,D some S/W uses.

Yes, long, long time ago, we used U,D,L,R, in WORDSTAR. Probably OK for
PC (original IBM 84-key PC keyboard). I think I've even forgotten those
key strokes. Actually, now that I think of it, WordStar actually
started on a 8080 S-100 machine too (and maybe Intel Intelec systems)!

> Hope this helps.

Again, Great Help!

> Ballendo
>
> P.S. For those new to this, be aware that Alan is writing some
> software which uses an encoder as a handwheel, and THAT'S
> the "encoder" being referred to in this post...

Yeah, I hope I didn't get anyone confused! And the "panel shaft
encoder" can also be "mapped" to keyboard key strokes, using a TSR, in
case anyone is interested in trying it. I've just put it into my own
controller program for now, but I'll get around to trying it on MaxNC..
(and others?).

Alan

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-11-21 15:19:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more R,P,Y and axes info wasRe[10]: emc really needs...