CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach, linear scales, making pulleys

on 2000-11-29 08:24:34 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Jon Elson <jmelson@a...> wrote:

> I had trouble following this thread, I hope this is the original
message
> that spurred the question at top.
>
> My feeling, not having tried the Gecko servo system, is that there
> are two differences in the system. One, is that it is not a closed
loop
> system, in that the CNC control has no direct feedback from the
encoders.
> The Gecko Servo unit DOES have feedback to IT, but it can't tell the
> CNC control where it is, all it can do is try to keep the machine
where
> it has been told to put it. If there is a fault (crash or
overload) or an
> emergency stop, the machine position may no longer correspond to
> where the CNC control thinks the machine is. A servo system with
> position feedback to the CNC control will not lose position under
these
> conditions.
>
> The second difference is under extremely slow movement, which ocurrs
> any time you interpolate a circle, or when you are following an
angle that
> is almost parallel to one axis. The stepper-> servo system, or ANY
> system without a DC tach, cannot make smooth movements that leave
> it between encoder pulses for a significant time, because that is
the only
> form of feedback, both for position and velocity. A DC tach allows
> smooth motion even when it is several seconds between encoder
counts!
> If you have a very fine (high resolution) encoder, this may be no
> concern. If the encoders are of relatively low resolution, it
could cause
> wavy lines in machined surfaces.
>
> Jon

Hi,

Jon, sorry, I jumped into this thread at about the 40th "Re:" level
with my 2 cents worth. Point by point:

1) The encoder is free to be used by the PC as well if you wish for
direct feedback.

2) The drive has a "fault" output readable by the PC in the event of
a crash.

3) Smooth movement between encoder edges. In either case the motor is
moving between encoder edges, smooth or not.

4) Seconds between encoder edges. Let's do the math. Assume 1 second
between encoder edges, a modest encoder resolution of 500 lines and
an agressive tachometer Kv of 100V/1,000 RPM.

It would take 2,000 seconds per revolution, for a motor speed of
0.0000083 RPM. The tach feedback voltage would be 0.00000083V, or
less than 1 microvolt! My point here is taking brush noise and other
factors into account, a really good tach has a signal to noise ratio
of no better than 25 db.

Mariss

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-11-28 22:10:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach, linear scales, making pulleys Mariss Freimanis 2000-11-29 08:24:34 UTC Re: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach, linear scales, making pulleys Jeff Barlow 2000-11-29 11:58:01 UTC Servo systems (was: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach....) Kevin P. Martin 2000-11-29 13:32:03 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo systems (was: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach....) Jeff Barlow 2000-11-29 14:34:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo systems (was: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach....) Mariss Freimanis 2000-11-29 16:50:51 UTC Re: Servo systems (was: re:cleaning, lovejoy, black box tach....)