CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Stepper power supplies,

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-12-03 05:39:22 UTC
Smoke wrote:
>Could you possibly build me a power supply that would operate up to
>12 motors? I would need to be able to turn off any output not in
>use.

Smoke,

Am I wrong to assume this is for your "dream machine"? If so, I have
a suggestion; Either 4 supplies for 3 motors (nominal) each, or vice
versa, 3 supplies for 4 motors.

Since you are planning to offer this machine in modular style, it
makes sense to have the power in modular "blocks" as well, IMO. Also
allows the power to be better matched to the motors SPECIFICALLY used
in different parts of the machine.

A power supply of the type used for steppers is like the water tower
over the town; As long as there's enough water inside to meet the
needs, everyone in town is happy (this town has up to 12 inhabitants,
each of which has the last name Motor :-) )If any of them don't
want/need water (they moved away/haven't yet moved in/ are on
vacation) they just don't use any!

So it would be horribly inefficient, and uneconomical for your kit
purchasers, to be "saddled" with a "town size" water supply tower,
when they are only a "family of 3" (Mr.Y Mrs.X and baby Z).

Seriously, By providing power in smaller "chunks", you allow
smaller/lighter/less-expensive components, and gain the benefits
already mentioned above. And allow you to turn off power to "unused"
blocks of axes in a way more useful than the original question
implied. A "town" with 3 water towers can "share" the water from
another nearby tower in an emergency situation...

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. As Mariss said, What amps/volts/supply?

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-03 05:39:22 UTC Re: Re: Stepper power supplies, Smoke 2000-12-03 10:27:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: Stepper power supplies,