CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gantry X axis technology

Posted by machines@n...
on 2000-12-08 14:25:55 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Joe Fahy" <72510.1173@c...>
wrote:
> For x axis lengths of 16 to 20 feet, are there any non-custom
machined ball
> screws available? I have not seen any. The longest standard I
have seen is
> 12 feet.
>
> I have looked at the Bishop Wisecarver Lo-Pro timing belt based
system.
> However, with a 20 foot axis length, I have been told that zero
backlash is
> not possible. It is possible in shorter lengths, like 6 feet.
>
> What technology have other long x axis systems utilized and what
compromises
> have they lived with?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Fahy

Some of the newer range of laser cutters with 4 metre beds, around 13
ft, use precision rack and pinion drive.
One of my customers has a 3 metre machine and the accuracy is plus or
minus 0.02 mm
The speed of these is far greater than the earlier range of ball
screw driven machines.

John Stevenson
Notingham, England

Discussion Thread

Joe Fahy 2000-12-08 14:17:40 UTC Gantry X axis technology machines@n... 2000-12-08 14:25:55 UTC Re: Gantry X axis technology Joe Fahy 2000-12-08 14:48:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gantry X axis technology