CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 957

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2000-12-10 12:23:38 UTC
From: "Smoke" <Smoke@...>
Subject: Re: Re: Majority of CNC conversions?

I'm going to be conveting my 9 x 49 knee mill and I'm designing a whole
bunch of new machines to build for sale in either kit form or preassembled.
What kind and size would you like? :)

Smoke

[There are a lot of old knee mills around- if you came up with a really
good servo retrofit kit for cheap you'd have people beating a path to your
door. What did you decide to do for yours? I guess I'm waiting for Mariss
to get his new higher-voltage boards together for mine.

There are lots of routers around- my beef is that they don't have much room
in the z-axis. It would be nice to see a machine that would be able to
carve either a large panel (say 4' x 8') or, using a "rotisserie" 4th axis,
to cut a big fully-round part (like a lifesized figure). The quill wouldn't
have to make the adjustment if there were a way to either raise the bridge
or drop out the table (the latter is probably easier.). With a setup like
that, about 14" of Z travel would probably suffice, although more is
always better. Sound feasible?]

Andrew Werby
http://www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2000-12-10 12:23:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 957