CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] dumb black box was Re: Re: interp and algorithms of multiple axes

Posted by Ian Wright
From: <ballendo@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>

> Ian,
>
> Ya gotta lay the tracks before the train can come to town!
>
> What follows is just my opinion. We have a situation where many
> people are dissatisfied, for one reason or another, with the current
> offerings in CNC controllers.

Hi Ballendo,

Yes I fully agree that you have to start somewhere but I kinda got the
impression that the hardware guys were hareing off designing a 'black box'
with little thought as to how it would be driven. Presumably, what is needed
on the computer is about half the normal CAM package with a different output
stage to spit instructions out across the whole of the chosen port - has
anyone looked to see whether its possible to just 'break into' EMC and use
all its front end stuff with just a different 'steppermod' or 'freqmod' type
of output file? If so, that may influence the way the 'black box' could be
designed and might save a lot of work on the software side. I suspect that
defining the computer output format is the key to pushing the project
forward. Just the $0.02 of someone who is really too dim to be able to
contribute anything positive.

> At this point it is like a city whose council has two proposals to
> consider: An airport and a rail station. Both will bring desired/
> needed goods to the citizens. Both will require input from the city.
> Both will take a lot of work until the results are available TO the
> citizens...

Having worked for a local council for 32 years and being very close to the
decision making process for much of that, I sincerely hope we do not take
this as a model! In my experience, decisions of this type are never taken on
any kind of sensible basis and are usually based on incorrect information!!
;o)

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-12-10 14:33:48 UTC dumb black box was Re: Re: interp and algorithms of multiple axes Ian Wright 2000-12-11 10:50:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] dumb black box was Re: Re: interp and algorithms of multiple axes Art Fenerty 2000-12-11 14:12:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] dumb black box was Re: Re: interp and algorithms of multiple axes