CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [BobCAD documentation

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-12-20 14:05:42 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Smoke" <Smoke@5...> wrote:
> Now THIS is the kind of info we all need! I've got the BobCAD Demo
and
> haven't had a chance to even look at it yet. But your info
regarding poor
> documentation, high cost for manuals, and having to pay extra for
lincencing
> you don't need (I too, am a one man op.) definitely turns me off!

The Bobcad documentation included with version 17 is the best that
they have ever produced. however it is NOT the printed material, but
rather an HTML help file that does a fair job for a low cost Cad-Cam
system. It does not cover all features and certainly does not cover
advanced machining topics.

The tutorials appear to be very basic & not necessarily oriented to
machining, but rather to how to do a specific function (like
pocketing). You won't find much meat about what the numbers really
mean to you the machinist in the description of the skin function,
but it will tell you how to do it. For those that struggle with
Bobcad, they have posted some of the exercises on their web site at
http://www.bobcad.com

IMService has been selling Video training tapes to accompany Bobcad,
since version 15 first came out about 4-5 years ago. Our current
series covers all the features included in version 16 through 17,
including things like the engrave on a cylinder and all the 3D
contouring functions. The tapes include narration by yours truly,
and are based on my many years of using Bobcad, training others in
formal classroms and one on one circumstances. When making the
videos I tested and figured out how to make ALL the functions of
Bobcad work, and showed what I had learned. The production of the
videos was based on about 100 hours per tape. There are 4 tapes. We
no longer provide support for Bobcad, but the videos are still for
sale.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread

Smoke 2000-12-20 12:17:50 UTC Re: [BobCAD documentation Fred Smith 2000-12-20 14:05:42 UTC Re: [BobCAD documentation