CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Thanks: Selecting workshop heater

Posted by Wally K
on 2000-12-21 13:23:03 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, marco@m... wrote:
> Well, I'm surprised at how many responses I got so quickly. Thanks
> everyone!
>
> Given all the advice I've recieved, I've decided that I'll solve my
> coldness problem by insulating the two walls not attached to my
house,
> and using a small (my shop is only 220 sq ft) electric heater.
>
> This way, I need not remember to purchase kerosene or propane from
> time to time. Since my shop is connected to the house, I can avoid
the
> "burning down the house" problem. And I don't have to worry about
the
> combustion problems (carbon monoxide and water vapor) from causing
> death, or even worse: RUSTY TOOLS!

I think you will pass out when you get your electric bill if you use
your shop for any amount of time. Electricity is probably 3X the
cost of propane.

> OTHER NOTES:
> * Insulate workshop well, and small heater will be good
> * Combustion-sourced heaters need to have combustion products
vented
> to prevent death (or even worse, RUST!)
> * Using the existing house heater might be a better long-term
> solution for me, since the garage is attached. However, I just want
> to use my new mill & lathe, not learn duct work!

It was simple to add ducting to my house and garage. Use the round
stuff you buy at the building supply stores that pushes together.
You can get rotating elbows and adapters also for it. And do not
forget to put a 6 inch centrifugal blower in the duct to boost the
air to the garage.

Wally K.

P.S.

It is interisting to know that i am the only one on this list who
uses this methode to heat the garage.

When i came up with this system and had it approved by the building
inspector. Several of the various inspectors in the office came out
to talk to me. They thought this was a good idea and wanted to put
it in thier house.

Discussion Thread

marco@m... 2000-12-20 14:32:30 UTC Thanks: Selecting workshop heater Smoke 2000-12-20 14:53:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Thanks: Selecting workshop heater Wally K 2000-12-21 13:23:03 UTC Re: Thanks: Selecting workshop heater