CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie needs advice

on 2000-12-24 14:31:16 UTC
Hi Karen,

Welcome to CNC machining! some thoughts on book I recently shared with
the Sherline list:

Some titles:

"CNC a First Look Primer" by William W. Luggen
"Fundamentals of Numerical Control" by William W. Luggen
"Computer control Simplified" by Michael Fitzpatric
"Computer Numerical Control of Machine Tools" by G.E. Thayer

I haven't read any of these, but I have read:

"Computer Numerical Control" by Joseph Pusztai and Michael Salva
"An Introduction to CNC Machining and Programming" by David
Gibbs
and
Thomas M. Crandell

I liked "Computer Numerical Control" better, had more on the math and
trig of machining. The "Introduction to CNC Machining and Programming"
book got into "big" machines.

Frankly, you can get a lot out of just studying short gcode programs,
watching them run in a program like "Cut Viewer" (a lot of evals out
there, try them), and check out BobCad or, I understand now Vector
CAD/CAM's evals. You can draw some shapes, generate the gcode for them,
and watch them run in a viewer! AutoEditNC is a new FREE program that
will allow you to generate gcode in an editor environment. It's
tutorial, and should be helpful (I found it AFTER I got Vector, so
haven't done much with it. But I feel that for the starting level of
gcode we need on small (sherline size) mills, There is not that much
that must be immediately mastered.

Alan KM6VV

Karen wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I am new to CNC programming and am very interested in learning. My
> question here is what books would you all recommend for someone who
> is completely new to the subject? I have a few ideas, but the best
> way I've found to get an even better idea is to ask someone who knows
> more...so here I am. Please, any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Karen

Discussion Thread

Karen 2000-12-24 04:55:59 UTC Newbie needs advice Dan Mauch 2000-12-24 07:53:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie needs advice Marcus & Eva 2000-12-24 09:24:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie needs advice Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-12-24 14:31:16 UTC Re: Newbie needs advice Alvaro Fogassa 2000-12-24 15:20:29 UTC Re: Newbie needs advice JanRwl@A... 2000-12-24 17:02:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie needs advice