CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Repost: Successful Gecko G320 servo app lica tions

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2001-01-02 12:55:09 UTC
The shafts on the Camtronics servo motors are actually a metric dimension.
If I remember correctly they are 8 mm. I did get a new pulley to go to the
3:1 ratio, but I would suggest trying it with the stock 2:1 ratio to begin
with. Dan told me he was using his servo motors with the Gecko drivers on a
mill/drill in a 2:1 setup. I made a bushing that I pressed into the pulleys
to get the bore correctly sized. If you need to get pulleys you can get
steel ones from McMaster Carr for a pretty reasonable price. I bought a few
from a local supplier (Motion Industries) and got gouged terribly on the
price.

You will have to make adapter plates to go from the NEMA 34 mounts to the
about NEMA 23 (measure first) mounts of the servo motors. I used some
aluminum plate. Not a big deal or very high tech.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

> Hi Tim
>
> About the Camtronics servo motor, do we need special
> pulleys,belt and mounting to fit Nema34 size on the ShopTask
> (Eldorado). Do you have the drive spec.
> I am about to duplicate what you did (ball screws,CNC,DRO) on
> a new SM
> Eldorado when it arrives (is it SM2000 ?).
>
> Thanks
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Tim Goldstein <timg@k...> wrote:
> > Bob,
> >
> > I am using a set of the G320 on my Shoptask. It is running at 24
> volts
> > driving one of the Camtronics servo motors on one axis and
> some NEMA
> 34 size
> > units I got on E-bay on the other 2 axis's. This replaced a stepper
> setup
> > that was using 550 in/oz bipolar steppers. It works GREAT! I have
> the axis
> > with the Camtronics motor connected at 3:1 ratio and the other 2 at
> 2:1
> > ratio. I don't think I need the 3:1 ratio to get the
> required torque
> but
> > wanted to get the greater resolution the higher ratio gives me. The
> machine
> > is using 5 tpi ball screws.
> >
> > I am getting 135 ipm on the axis with the 3:1 ratio and
> have gave up
> seeing
> > how fast the 2:1 ratio axis will go when I got 180 ipm. The
> limiting
> factor
> > is the maximum motor RPM at the voltage being run. The G320 would
> run the
> > 3:1 axis faster if the motor was capable of running at a higher
> rpm. If I
> > up the supply voltage then I can get the motor to go faster. I know
> Dan runs
> > these motors on a 36 V supply.
> >
> > If you can find a servo motor that supplies the torque you want and
> has a
> > maximum RPM rating that gives the speed you want all within
> the 80 V
> and 20
> > amp rating of the G320 it will work out just fine.
> >
> > Tim
> > [Denver, CO]

Tim Goldstein 2001-01-02 12:55:09 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Repost: Successful Gecko G320 servo app lica tions