CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1019

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2001-01-04 00:41:02 UTC
At 08:13 04/01/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm not sure how this CONFIRMS anything??? It may be true that Taig
>makes some MaxNC parts... Geographically, they are neighbors. Also
>direct competitors...
>
>The MaxNC 'digitiser' is a 3D single pole switch, nothing more. The
>fact that it will fit an appropriate sized collet does nothing (that
>I can see) to determine who manufactured the collet/spindle.
>
>The way the physical construction of the digitiser was explained to
>me was: A three 'pole' tripod with sharp tips which rest on
>electrical contacts (3). Extending downward from the tripod top is
>the probe tip. This means that a 'push' against the probe in any
>direction will cause at least ONE of the contacts to be 'broken'.
>Figure they must be wired in series, and are normally closed.
>
>The SOFTWARE for the MaxNC digitiser is what will determine whether it
>(the digitiser) will work in/with other machines...

Ballendo -

My apologies - what I wrote wasn't clear - the confirmation had nothing to
do with the digitizer per se. The pictures of the collet closer & collets
on the website confirmed to me that the Max spindle is actually a Taig
spindle - I know that Taig make their own spindles/collets to their own
design, and the collets in the picture are undoubtedly of Taig origin.
(Incidentally, the rotary table looks remarkably like a modified Sherline
table.)

You're right of course that if the digitizer is held in a collet it will
also fit other machines, and that the real compatibility issue is with the
software - as pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the issue is not how
you use G61 to detect the probe hitting the surface, but how you extract
the machine coordinates from your control software once it has happened,
and store them for future use. No doubt the EMC hackers on this list would
have no problems putting together an add-on for this...;-)

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2001-01-04 00:41:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 1019