CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations

on 2001-01-09 05:00:40 UTC
Hi Jon,

Yes, I tried a couple of 15,000 uf 35 volt capacitor accross the power
supply output with no success. Now maybe I should try a single
capacitor and see what that does for me. I tried a pair of these in
parallel, I have forgotten the effect of capacitors in parallel, so I
will try just one to see what that does for me.

John

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Jon Elson <jmelson@a...> wrote:

> "John D. Guenther" wrote:
>
> > You really might want to go with the transformer and rectifier for
you
> > stepper power. I have a 24 volt 8.6 amp switching power supply I
WAS
> > going to use with Dan's 5 AMP controllers. The operative word
here
> > is WAS, because when I could get it to actually provide motion,
the
> > torque was almost non existant. Holding torque was great, but not
the
> > moving torque. Just for kicks, after exchanging email's with Dan,
> > replaced the 24 volt switcher with two 12 volt lead-acid batteries
in
> > series, WOW what a difference. I now have loads of torque in
motion,
> > and the speed is fine and can most likely be pushed even higher.
I am
> > currently usind DeskNC on a 486-66 PC with MS-DOS 6.2.2
> >
> > The 24 volt switching power supply will go up on ebay this week
and I
> > will purchase a transformer and other power supply components from
Dan
> > to do the power supply correctly. By the way, my 5 volt DC comes
from
> > a 300 watt PC power supply and that seems to be fine, but I won't
try
> > to use a switcher for stepper power again! (I don't need that kind
of
> > stress in my like!!)
>
> Did you try putting a couple of thousand Micro-Farads of capacitor
across
> the output of the switching power supply? I think you might find
that it will
> work well in that case. Most likely, the sharp current fluctuations
caused a
> problem with the regulation of the switcher. A capacitor would
smooth out
> the fluctuations, allowing it to regulate properly.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2001-01-08 23:36:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations John D. Guenther 2001-01-09 05:00:40 UTC Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations Dick Ganderton 2001-01-09 15:04:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations