CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations

"John D. Guenther" wrote:

> You really might want to go with the transformer and rectifier for you
> stepper power. I have a 24 volt 8.6 amp switching power supply I WAS
> going to use with Dan's 5 AMP controllers. The operative word here
> is WAS, because when I could get it to actually provide motion, the
> torque was almost non existant. Holding torque was great, but not the
> moving torque. Just for kicks, after exchanging email's with Dan, I
> replaced the 24 volt switcher with two 12 volt lead-acid batteries in
> series, WOW what a difference. I now have loads of torque in motion,
> and the speed is fine and can most likely be pushed even higher. I am
> currently usind DeskNC on a 486-66 PC with MS-DOS 6.2.2
>
> The 24 volt switching power supply will go up on ebay this week and I
> will purchase a transformer and other power supply components from Dan
> to do the power supply correctly. By the way, my 5 volt DC comes from
> a 300 watt PC power supply and that seems to be fine, but I won't try
> to use a switcher for stepper power again! (I don't need that kind of
> stress in my like!!)

Did you try putting a couple of thousand Micro-Farads of capacitor across
the output of the switching power supply? I think you might find that it will
work well in that case. Most likely, the sharp current fluctuations caused a
problem with the regulation of the switcher. A capacitor would smooth out
the fluctuations, allowing it to regulate properly.

Jon Elson 2001-01-08 23:36:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations John D. Guenther 2001-01-09 05:00:40 UTC Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations Dick Ganderton 2001-01-09 15:04:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: motor/leadscrew/ps recomendations and calculations