CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig retrofit servo motors

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2001-01-12 06:47:14 UTC
Some time in early December I posted on the Sherline group my
experience at putting a servo motor on a Sherline. I mentioned that it was
running the X axis at 72 IPM at 25 lbs. force using a gecko drive and a
small servo motor that I adapted to my nema 23 extrusions on the sherline.
Unfortunately, I did not get a single comment until just recently. So I
didn't persue making up a batch of these motors for the small machines like
the taig, REX ,sherline and grissly. I spent a lot of time searching for a
low cost motor that had the torque that I wanted good speed without it being
excessive and having an appropriate CPR encoder. Most of the nice pittman
motors have a gear ratio that is way to high with the 500 count encoders
mounted one them and that combined with the .050 pitch of the leadscrew gave
a 500X4X6x20=240,000 CPI. So I finally found a motor that had the torque
and speed that I wanted with a ball bearing on the shaft. But the motor did
not have provisions for an encoder on it so I had to design an adapter plate
for the back of the motor to add a Agilent HEDS 5500 E 04 dual channel
quadrature encoder. I modified a few more and will soon add them to the
remaining axis. The resolution of this set up is 200X4X20=16000 CPI or
.0000625"
Dan
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Date: Thursday, January 11, 2001 10:44 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig retrofit
>I had a similar idea; but I'm retrofitting a Taig with Geckos and servos.
>I'll have to make new motor-mounts, since no servos seem to be made with
>NEMA 23 mounts, but having closed-loop speed and accuracy should make it
>worthwhile. I got my Geckos a couple of days ago- they sure are small! I'm
>wondering how hot they get when in use? Should I be attaching them to a big
>heat-sink and fanning them?

Discussion Thread

Dan Mauch 2001-01-12 06:47:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig retrofit servo motors Roman Black 2001-01-12 06:57:21 UTC Re: Taig retrofit servo motors Dan Mauch 2001-01-12 08:35:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Taig retrofit servo motors Roman Black 2001-01-12 09:38:15 UTC Re: Taig retrofit servo motors Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-12 12:04:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig retrofit servo motors ballendo@y... 2001-01-12 19:31:39 UTC Re: Taig retrofit servo motors Dan Mauch 2001-01-13 07:16:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig retrofit servo motors Roman Black 2001-01-13 09:33:59 UTC Re: Taig retrofit servo motors Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-01-13 12:41:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Taig retrofit servo motors