CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions

Greg Nuspel wrote:

> Ian,
>
> I would be cautious with titanium, the problem is that the body doesn't
> attack it. This is why they use it for medical purposes. As for the
> splinters moving through your body, it could be and if they get into your
> bones etc. it could cause problems.
>
> --Greg
> >
> > What are the safety aspects of using titanium - I was told some time ago
> > that splinters of titanium in the skin could work their way deeper in and
> > cause bone problems. Seems a bit unlikely as they use titanium for medical
> > things (bone screws etc.) - was I being had?

The problem is that titanium will not be corroded and dissolved like a steel
splinter would eventually be. Any foreign object in the body that is not
absolutely sterilized will almost certainly become a site of infection.
Even totally sterile items can become a site where infection settles after
they are placed there.

My wife got a tiny glass splinter in her foot, and had to have it surgically
removed and the abcess cleaned out about two weeks after she got it
in there. I've been pretty lucky about the steel splinters, but I usually
pick them out within a day of getting them. Sometimes, it gets close to
real surgery!

Matt Shaver 2001-01-16 22:03:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions dave engvall 2001-01-17 09:00:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions Erik Nielsen 2001-01-17 18:35:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions Tim Goldstein 2001-01-17 19:14:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions wanliker@a... 2001-01-17 19:29:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions Jon Elson 2001-01-17 22:58:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Annoying Newbie Questions