CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sherline vs Unimat

Posted by Jeff Demand
on 2001-01-28 17:47:34 UTC
Peter

I have converted an old Unimat SL using surplus steppers and the controller
built from plans by Daniel Hudgin's DANCAM. The major problems came from
the backlash on the X axis caused by age and the way adjusting carriage
tension ALSO adjusts the lead nut. I ended up adding an adjustable bronze
nut. To the Z axis I added a worm drive and removed the big
spring...gravity takes up the horrendous slop. If you are interested I can
post some pictures, but my present machine represents LOTS on learning and
what happened to be in my scrap box, not an optimal design. And it still
won't make 2mm cuts in stainless ;)

Jeff