CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EDM and stuff

"Arne Chr. Jorgensen" wrote:

> I would like to know how you have wired the STG board. It says it
> is Opto22 compatible, and I read that someone mentioned that ( opto
> isolators )

I just made up a drawing for this. The PostScript will be on the
CAD_CAM FAQ server at 206.19.206.56, in the default directory,
file name emerg.ps. This is mostly a setup to control emergency stop
functions external to the STG card and the PC, but it also allows the
STG card and PC to cause an E-stop, and to sense the state of E-stop
and the safety chain. It also kills power to the opto-interface card
when in E-stop, so even if the parallel port says "start spindle" it won't
until the STG's watchdog is satisfied. And, it also wires across the
parallel port to the opto interface.

> I can always make some sort of a cable, but I would like to have
> some "screw" terminals. Any smart ideas ? Or is there something made
> for this ? ( I looked at the opto22 site, but could not figure out
> what to use )

I made up a few circuit boards for this purpose. I got some Phoenix
Contact screw terminal strips, and the board wires each screw to a
pin on a 50-conductor male header. If enough people are interested,
we could make a run of these boards. Or, for a small volume, I
could just print and etch a few, and let you drill them.

> PS: Nobody said anything about the length of lines to use. Is it
> just my Netscape setup for the printer that is wrong ?
> ( I loose some words because of line wrapping - like message 1, from
> David Howland, digest 119 - while most others
> is okay )

Well, with variable width characters, there are no hard and fast rules.
I try to keep things short, about 60-70 chars, max.

Oh, my mail server is supposed to be down for a few days (Damn *#&^@^
system managers) so if you have trouble reaching me, just be patient.
(I'm not very patient with them, right now.)

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-08-04 18:07:03 UTC EDM and stuff Jon Elson 1999-08-04 23:04:39 UTC Re: EDM and stuff