CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: MillWizard + MaxNC-10, SuperCam & Millwizard...

Posted by tnorris@h...
on 2001-02-11 08:16:13 UTC
Hi Stan!

Welcome to the group and thanks for the reply. I am successfully
using MillWizard on the MaxNC-10 mill and it works great for a novice
(and even more experienced types!). I've downloaded several .3DS
and .DXF models from some "artsy" web sites (you know, those people
that like to make the models to LOOK AT, not mill-out) <grin>

These models work EXCELLENT. Some of the nice things I can say about
MillWizard's handling of 3D objects is that it allows you to rotate
it easily, set the "centerline" (base) for milling (invaluable!) and
its very easy to use. I downloaded the "Demo" version on Thursday and
placed an order through Andrew at United Artworks (free plug) for
$200. It should arrive Monday and allow me to actually mill the
models *I* created.

I think its an interesting combination using the MaxNC DLX software
on a Taig Micromill as I've not heard of it being used anywhere
outside of a MaxNC machine. It's pretty good software but one of my
main gripes with it is that it doesn't support "variables" in the NC
code. The closest I could get to "acting like" a variable is to use
the "Relative" positioning on it. Hopefully they will put this in a
future version.

As for your confusion, Yep! The MaxNC-10 (-5, and -15) are CNC
milling machines available from www.maxnc.com. My only complaint with
the MaxNC-10 is its slow milling rate (6 inches-per-minute) and I
plan on retro-fitting mine with the Closed Loop servos (should get
over 100 ipm according to some sources). One major "upgrade" I've
made is using 20" X & Y tables from techno-isel to give me more area
to work with. It works great but really needs stronger stepper motors
that the 70 oz/inch ones that came with the machine.

I don't have the SuperCAM software (wish I could afford a copy right
now!) but I am sure there is *some* way to set the Z axis "base" for
your relief milling. From what I understand reading the instructions,
it will take the total depth of the material and divide that by 256
(grey scale colors) to arrive at a milling depth for each shade of
grey. If your material is not very thick then I can understand why it
might be a very shallow milling. Might want to get some 1" thick foam
and try something to see if it mills deeper.

Your now on my CNC-Novice mailing list (like me!) and I'll keep you
updated on any new stuff I find out.

Thanks again!
Tracy

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Stan Nipper" <stan@l...> wrote:
> Hi Tracy,
> I am new to this list and new to CNC as a hobby, so I hope the
other members
> will bear with me.
> I am trying to use MillWizard with MAXNC DLX software on a Taig
MicroMill. I
> have only just got the thing and I haven't played with it much yet,
so I am
> still in the very confused state. MaxCN 10 is the machine, isn't it?
> I have also got SuperCam software, which, amongst the other things
I still
> have to find out, scans B & W TIF files cutting deep on black areas
and
> shallow on the whites. My problem is the Z axis moves only a few
thou on the
> passes, hardly enough to show a shadow on the finished article, let
alone a
> picture.
> The user guide is written for someone far more intelligent or
knowlegable
> than me. From the for going you can see I won't be much help, but I
am
> hoping to pick up some tips from any answers you receive.
> Best wishes
> Stan (novice)
> Loughborough
> UK

Discussion Thread

tnorris@h... 2001-02-08 09:12:44 UTC MillWizard + MaxNC-10 Stan Nipper 2001-02-08 15:27:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MillWizard + MaxNC-10 tnorris@h... 2001-02-11 08:16:13 UTC Re: MillWizard + MaxNC-10, SuperCam & Millwizard... Stan Nipper 2001-02-11 16:03:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MillWizard + MaxNC-10, SuperCam & Millwizard... ozzietwo2001@y... 2001-02-11 20:23:18 UTC Re: MillWizard + MaxNC-10, SuperCam & Millwizard... Andrew Werby 2001-02-12 14:13:48 UTC Re: MillWizard + MaxNC-10, SuperCam & Millwizard... Stan Nipper 2001-02-12 16:16:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: MillWizard + MaxNC-10, SuperCam & Millwizard...