CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Oakley finalist in embedded Linux contest: CNC controller

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2001-02-12 00:00:32 UTC
Doug Fortune wrote:

> re:
> http://www.embedded.linuxjournal.com/advertising/press/finalists.php?sid=8c69e0e438498a142e8c5861b71e72ea
>
> There was a contest to provide 100 semi-finalists with embedded
> computers:
>
> Myron "Bud" Oakley: Industrial CNC controller
> This inventor submitted two winning project proposals: a
> flexible, open source, system for calculating, displaying and
> logging aircraft engine operating parameters, and a flexible,
> open source, CNC control system to control a plasma cutter
> and do other machine and robotic control applications. (He
> will receive one board and may do either project for phase 2 of
> the contest.)
>
> Too bad there was no contact info, we could give him lots of free
> advice! Does anyone know who he is? The semi-finalists have until
> the fall 2001 to complete their projects.

It's got to be this guy:

http://www.z-tech.net/myhomebuilt/default.htm

I got a complimentary copy of the Embedded Linux Journal with the
contest announcement on the cover several months ago. It was all I could
do not to enter, but I didn't for two reasons:

1. I already have plenty to do.
2. They seemed to want projects that were mass market/entertainment related.

On another note, I've been retrofitting a cnc mill for about the last 10
months and tonight I powered up a bunch of the subsystems, got out of
e-stop, and watched the position readout for the Z axis count up and
down as I rotated the motor shaft by hand. Hopefully tomorrow (if my
machine work customers don't intrude), I can turn on the servo amps and
jog around a bit.

Matt

P.S. I didn't send this guy a list invitation, maybe Bill has his
standard text as boilerplate on his disk.

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2001-02-11 20:23:54 UTC Oakley finalist in embedded Linux contest: CNC controller wanliker@a... 2001-02-11 22:59:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Oakley finalist in embedded Linux contest: CNC controller Matt Shaver 2001-02-12 00:00:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Oakley finalist in embedded Linux contest: CNC controller