CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 1999-08-07 23:14:35 UTC
First I want to thank Tim for taking up a lot of the slack in the Linux
advise department. I haven't had much time to reply to the many interesting
messages I've read on the group lately (Lasers!) due to my need to finish my
latest project so I can sell it and avoid going broke.

http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/52/rh52-hardware-intel-18.
> html#video-xfree86-sort-man )
> I have had success with Trident, Cirrus, and S3 based cards, and have also
> had some of the same brands not work. Just make sure it is PCI and the
exact
> chip or version is on the list and you should be OK.

I'm going to say that my best results have been with ATI cards using the
Mach64 Xserver and the S3 chip based cards with the (you guessed it) S3
Xserver. Be sure to get the latest version of the Xserver for you card from:

ftp://updates.redhat.com/5.2/i386/

for the ATI Mach64 boards it would be the file
XFree86-Mach64-3.3.3.1-1.1.i386.rpm. The important thing about the card is
not its trade name like, "ATI Ultra Speedy All-in-one Everything-to-everybody
Card", but what chipset is used on the card. The ATI cards seem to share a
consistent hardware interface. Fred Proctor told me he had problems with X
windows locking up when he used Trident chip based cards, so he switched to
an S3 and was OK, although an updated Xserver file may have cured his
problems.

> My suggestion is don't try to get creative or reinvent the
> wheel, just load the workstation install on a totally clean non-partitioned
> drive and then use the script on my web site ( http://www.ktmarketing.com )
> and them put EMC in the location that is recommended in the install
> instructions that are also on my site. If you follow the instructions
> exactly without getting creative you should have a running system in a
> couple of hours.

Although I've posted other detailed instructions I agree completely with this
suggestion, especially for first time users. Tim's excellent script and
instructions are the way to go. You will have plenty of other challenges
learning to work with Linux without also taking on the manual install
process.

> > From: Gary Passon <gary@...>
> >
> > So mine is "RedHat Linux Unleashed
> > - third ed"
> > the book is by SAMS and proports to have Linux 5.2 on the CD

My guess is that this will be a verbatim copy of the Red Hat CD and that you
will be just fine.

> > First, has
> > anyone used this specific version from this publisher?

No, but see the above answer.

> > How would I verify
> > the kernel version or an I assured to have the correct kernel if
> > I have the 5.2
> > version.

Tim's script will take care of this.

> > I don't have a "spare" PC (I just got a new P3-550 with
> > all the highend stuff

Lucky You!

> > and gave my old one back to my company), SO, could someone suggest an off
> > the shelf system I can buy that has the Linux-happy hardware in
> > it. This is a case
> > where convenience is more important than saving a couple of $$$.

Good attitude, this is what I just ordered for the machine I'm building now:

Intel Seattle 2 Motherboard w/350MHz P2 CPU MB6913 $316
ATX Mini Tower Case CA802 $60
128MB PC100 RAM MYDM404 $140
Memorex 48x CDROM (from Best Buy) $50
Western Digital 8.4GB Hard Disk HDG849 $136
Teac 3-1/2" Floppy FDNS475 $18
ATI 3D Charger PCI Video Card DAX210 $33
Intel EtherExpressPRO 100MB/s Network Card BNE818 $63

Total $816

I got this all from:

http://www.aberdeeninc.com/

I have three PCs in my house identical to this configuration, except the two
Win95 machines have Matrox Millenium AGP video cards and the Linux machine
has a flat panel display with a special video card. A picture of that PC is
at:

http://www.cams-club.org/history/22apr99/index.html

I made the clear acrylic mounting setup myself. The flat panel itself, as
well as the special VGA card and cabling (SK1005) came from:

http://www.flat-panel.com/skhome.htm

The three PC network is connected through a four port 100MB/s 3Com hub in the
basement. The machine on order is going into a Bridgeport BOSS4 conversion
I'm trying to finish now. I'll get a MAG Innovision monitor (14" or 15") from
somewhere undetermined and I'm going to use a wireless infrared keyboard (you
can see the receiver side of this in the above picture) with integral
pointing device for the mill from:

http://www.casco.com/kppro.html

If you really want a pre-built, pre-configured system you can get one with
5.2 already loaded from:

http://www.varesearch.com/

Need something to read while you wait for parts to come? Try:

http://www.slashdot.org/

How about some more software for your Linux machines:

http://www.freshmeat.net/

> > well --- thanks in advance

Your welcome (in arrears),

Matt Shaver