CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux "boxes" and EMC

daveland@... wrote:

> BTW: before I bore you to death with more linux stuff,
> wonder if there is "interest" in developing a standard
> linux/EMC hardware platform. With new cheap motherboards out
> there, it could be possible to identify a "cheap" emc
> system and preload a hard drive with all the files, just
> ready to run!!! (SORT of how Bill Gates got everyone hooked
> !!!) anyone interested!!! email me!!! I would glady stuff
> the hard drive full with EMC!! This would require that the
> computer have "standard" hardware in it.

This is a great idea, except that the product life cycle of a motherboard
is about 6 Months! By the time the boards are on store shelves,
the factory is starting their clearance sale to get rid of them and make
way for the next model. I'm not joking about this!

The rest of your post is absolutely on target - I've run into some of the
problems you mention, and heard about most of the rest.

daveland@x... 1999-08-07 20:50:22 UTC Linux "boxes" and EMC Jon Elson 1999-08-07 23:21:40 UTC Re: Linux "boxes" and EMC DHolness@x... 1999-08-09 09:30:44 UTC Re: Linux "boxes" and EMC