CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Volts?

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2001-02-27 23:34:32 UTC
At 06:08 28/02/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>A few days ago, someone said something like... "since we commonly use
>voltages 5 or 10 times..."
>
>Does this mean I really don't need to worry about finding a 4.5 VDC power
>supply 'cause that's what's printed on the motor?

More to the point, it means that you DO have to worry about getting a PSU
that is of a higher voltage than it says on the motor. See many previous
posts on this subject, plus explanatory papers on (for example) the Gecko
website....basically, if you want to get the best out of a stepper, it
needs to be driven hard when it is first switched on in order to reach the
max current as rapidly as possible. The simplistic approach is to use a
high supply voltage & a series resistance to ensure that the motor's max
current is not exceeded. Better approaches use current sensing techniques
to automatically limit the max current regardless of the raw supply voltage.

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2001-02-27 23:34:32 UTC Re: Volts?