CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Homebrew waterjet?

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-08-08 04:08:20 UTC
[I too would be curious to find out what you've learned about water-jet
cutting heads. As I understand it, there are the straight water types, good
for cutting things like cake, and the types that entrain some abrasive in
the water and can cut stuff like granite. They both work by building up a
lot of pressure and forcing the water through a small orifice, but what do
they make this out of, if they're forcing abrasive through it- diamond? And
teflon lines? Is this something one can really build at home, or do you
plan on getting a commercial head (where?) and concentrate on steering it?
Do you recycle the abrasive slurry, or just keep adding more? Are these
dangerous to use? I confess to being scared of those big metal-cutting
lasers (who wants to be vaporized? )- do these have non-obvious quirks that
can kill or maim you?]

Andrew Werby
http://www.computersculpture.com Tools for 3d actualization

Henry wrote:

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 07:38:05 -0500
From: "TheDragonPit" <dragonpit@...>
Subject: Water Jet

Hello every buddy been lurking for few days trying to decide if I want to
set up linux maybe, I've done it a few times but its been a while, well on
to the point. I run a small welding shop here in Texas where I have a built
a cutting torch, and a small router
that I've been running with Stepster. I was looking into setting up a
laser to do cutting with but have since decide to go with water jet. Just
thought I'd throw the option out there for thought.
Henry Bawcum

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-08-08 04:08:20 UTC Re: Homebrew waterjet?