CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Sherline controller thermal protection (by passing)

Posted by tauseef
on 2001-03-04 09:02:41 UTC
hey tony,
Case your still interested here is how to by pass the thermal
protection thing. First, its located in the motor right under one of
the brushes. Its a cooper looking unit about 10 mm long and 5 mm
wide. Here is how the wiring is hooked up. The Black wire from the AC
plug goes to the White wire in the motor. This white wire connects to
one side of the thermal protection thing. The other side is connected
by the orange wire out of the motor to black wire to the on/off
switch. The other wire of the on/off switch goes to L1 on the speed
control. L2 is directly connected to the white AC plug wire
completing the circuit. Basically, the thermal protection thing is a
circuit breaker.

TO bypass the thermal protection thing: Open the speed control and
take the orange 2 wire nuts off. Connect the two black wires together-
(so you are connecting the black from the AC plug right to the back
of the on/off switch). The orange and white wire are now not used
anywhere and should be covered and left alone case you ever decide to
hook it back up later. Thats it. Hope this helps.
tauseef

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., tony@j... wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Marcus & Eva" <implmex@a...> wrote:
> > I would not sweat the thermal overload protection on the
> Sherline motor
> > at all.
> > You will not likely ever be able to overload the motor enough on
> Taig to
> > do the trick.
> > These small machines are not rigid enough to take monstrous cuts,
> and the
> > Sherline motor has tons of poop for this application.
>
> You may be right - but the motor does get hotter than I can
> comfortably touch when running for extended periods at high speed.
> And since upgrading the Z axis to use Taig's new box section slide,
> the cutting capacity is significantly improved. I would just feel
> more comfortable knowing that the motor wasn't going to take any
> unilateral decisions just because it finds the climate a bit too
> warm ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2001-03-04 02:43:01 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection Marcus & Eva 2001-03-04 07:56:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sherline controller thermal protection tony@j... 2001-03-04 08:34:44 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection tauseef 2001-03-04 09:02:41 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection (by passing) tony@j... 2001-03-04 11:43:50 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection (by passing) Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-03-04 12:04:41 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection tauseef 2001-03-04 12:56:52 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection ballendo@y... 2001-03-06 04:33:59 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection Tony Jeffree 2001-03-06 13:34:51 UTC Re: Sherline controller thermal protection