CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM? Was: Phase Control of SCR's; Hi Curren t

on 2001-03-05 12:41:34 UTC
I've been looking all over for info on DIY EDM. I've only found so far two
sites about it. One is just a simple broken tap drill that has an X and Z
axis, I assume a broken tap refers to a broken threading? There was a link
for plans but I couldn't find anything following it. The other was just an
experiment someone was doing to see if it worked. It looks really
interesting but there so far seems to be a serious lack of information on
setting up an EDM with your own bed and supply. The only other stuff I've
found is EDM (Electrostatic Discharge Machining) companies who either mill
bits for you or sell you the £8K machine they build.

It appears to be so neglected by hobbyists who want to make their own
because it's quite a tricky thing to get going I've read. The second guy I
mentioned had to start it up, cut a tiny hole, stop, back it up, wash out
the dielectric, bring it back down, drill, stop, bring it back up.... etc.
I'm not sure how far you could take it as a hobbyist if you wanted to build
your own. I'm pretty sure it'd take about three minutes to solve the
problems with the dielectric from the talents I've seen on here so far. The
guy was saying he couldn't find any hollow electrode thin enough, so he
couldn't pump the fluid down it. I'd just try pumping it straight down the
sides of the electrode myself, you've seen the You Only Live Twice... I
hope. I think as well it's one to steer away from because it's pretty slow.
If you needed something to be incredibly accurate I could see the point but
then you'd also need an incredibly accurate movement and the time to do it.
Maybe someone could give us a clue as to where there is some information on
this. I'll let you know if I find anything that looks worth while. There is
a description of it on the FAQ page.

John