CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EDM? Was: Phase Control of SCR's; Hi Curren t

Posted by dave engvall
on 2001-03-05 14:18:49 UTC
e.heritage@... wrote:

> It appears to be so neglected by hobbyists who want to make their own
> because it's quite a tricky thing to get going I've read. The second guy I
> mentioned had to start it up, cut a tiny hole, stop, back it up, wash out
> the dielectric, bring it back down, drill, stop, bring it back up.... etc.
> I'm not sure how far you could take it as a hobbyist if you wanted to build
> your own. I'm pretty sure it'd take about three minutes to solve the
> problems with the dielectric from the talents I've seen on here so far. The
> guy was saying he couldn't find any hollow electrode thin enough, so he
> couldn't pump the fluid down it. I'd just try pumping it straight down the
> sides of the electrode myself, you've seen the You Only Live Twice...

Dave....just out of lurk mode:
Unless you drill really small holes the hobby brass tubing should do the job. According to the liturature one does well to spin
the rod AND inject dielectric thru the rod to flush. One article I read (either "EDM today" or 'MMS" was using really high pressure
dielectric and it not only flushed but stabilized the rod in the hole for less wander of the wall. IIRC 1000 psi was in the right
range. They also drilled deep holes very quickly; like 0.040 500 thou deep in a few minutes.
HOH

Dave