CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Best ball screw prices? (was: Ball screw load ratings)

Posted by Les Watts
on 2001-03-07 18:59:54 UTC
Well, I use HIWIN preloaded ball screws. My prices have been a lot less than
those mentioned... but I am a business buying
more than one or two.

As far as backlash.... well .005 is a lot. it could cause some serious
instability in a servo system and vibration problems
with any system. .001 is not too bad. Sometimes gravity can provide a
preload (up to a certain acceleration) so slop is no problem.

Stiff preloaded systems require bigger motors though. On some "light
preload" 25 mm screws I measured 60 in oz of
drag torque at a moderate rpm. This also means they can get pretty warm.
Enough to grow some thousandths over 6 feet.
I calculate about .015" with 6 feet and a 20 degree temp rise.
Don't think I slipped a decimal place there.

But I do like HIWIN ok. I sell a little surplus linear motion stuff
now and then and HIWIN cost is so low that it actually competes sometimes
with surplus. What they have little of is service and application
engineering. Like engineering and design guides...
(they tend to be in chinese translated rather broken english.)
Might be fine if I could read chinese.

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA