CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Ahha Artisan

Posted by john@x...
on 1999-08-10 10:47:32 UTC
>Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:52:34 -0400
> From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
>Subject: Re: Unregulated power supply
>
>> From: Gary Passon <gary@...>
>>
>> I've found the same thing... Curious perspective. It's kinda looks like
>they are "pricing-up"
>> the Power systems and "princing-down" the software and interface card. The
>$1500-2500
>> for the 12 amp (3-4 axis)power system seems a bit excessive and the Basic
>software and card
>> to emulate a Faunc-6 for $500-600 seems a little cheap. Even the Artisan
>software seems OK priced if it does all it sezs it
>> does.
>
>The stepper driver systems are pretty nice, at least to judge them from their
>specifications. I think if Dan's board hadn't been available I might have
>gone this route. As far as the software goes, I haven't looked at it in a
>while, but I have used it in the past and I wasn't all that impressed with
>its ease of use, or the lack of it. I will say that their method of
>programming new M functions by implementing a small scale macro language is
>pretty nice. I think you can download the software manual from:
>
>http://www.machinemaster.com/
>
>This is the web address for a product based on the AHHA card and software
>that also includes a small interface card that you can plug into the
>backplane of the computer in a Bridgeport Boss 3-6 to retrofit it with PC
>control. I used this a few years ago on a friend of mine's machine and it
>worked well (he is still using it anyway!). That is where I got my exposure
>to the AHHA software.

I run the Ahha Artisan software on a Beaver Mill for a living.
I looked on the machinemaster web site out of interest and noticed that they are
using version 3.1U of the software.
We have had version 3.2 here in the Uk for quite a while now and its a lot
better than 3.1U.
One thing you can do with 3.2 is to touch the tool on the work and hit Cntl F6
to save the tool length offset into the toolfile database.
I think they have made some good moves with macro's etc and the M codes.
On my machine all the millers needs are controlled by Artisan.
Motor, spindle speed, gear ratio's by air clutches, coolant and even the table
clamps are controlled by a M code.

I do a lot of repair work for motor rewind people and I can re-keyway a shaft on
the Beaver with a macro quicker than I can do it on a manual machine
--
Regards,
John Stevenson

Discussion Thread