CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Metal selection 101

on 2001-03-12 19:59:49 UTC
Lee,

IMHO, you're better off paying retail from a steel supplier and
getting new, clean steel of known type. Field testing of surplus
steel is virtually impossible.

For a good machining grade, try 12L14, also known a Leadloy (or is it
Ledloy?). As the name implies, this is a mild steel with a trace of
lead added for ease of machining. Since it's a low carbon steel it
doesn't heat treat well, but it can be case hardened very well.

Another favorite of mine is 11L44, also known by it's trade name of
Stressproof. This is a previously heat treated medium carbon steel
which machines well and can be used without further heat treatment
for a number of tooling applications.

Neither of the preceding steels are readily weldable. If you need a
mild steel that's weldable get 1018 (just plain garden variety mild
steel). 1018 case hardens well, doesn't heat treat because of low
carbon content, though.

Beyond these steels, there are all sorts of alloy steels with
specific properties, but these basics will cover the vast majority of
a small shop's needs. With case hardening you can accomplish the
surface hardness needed for tooling applications without having to
get into expensive alloys.

Just my $.02 worth.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., indigo_red@q... wrote:
> Hi All,
> Here in Phoenix we have a good surplus metal place called 'Davis
> Metals. Lately I've been wandering around trying to pick out useful
> steel to machine.
>
> My goal is to find a steel that is easy to machine and can be sent
> out to be hardened if needed. This will be for general purpose
> toolholder/vises etc Any suggestions?
>
> What field tests can be done to determine if a piece of scrap steel
> may be useful for machining? Tim mentioned the spark/grinding test,
> and I was also thinking of a spring loaded punch and battery
powered
> drill. Are there tips from the experience pool on this...
>
> Thanks,
> Lee
>
> p.s. Has anyone else spent time entering a long post, then hit
"post"
> again by accident when you meant to hit send? what a pain! For now
on
> I'm composing offline first!!! aaarrrggggghhhh!!!

Discussion Thread

indigo_red@q... 2001-03-12 13:47:40 UTC Metal selection 101 indigo_red@q... 2001-03-12 14:08:09 UTC Metal selection 101 Doug Harrison 2001-03-12 14:16:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Metal selection 101 dougrasmussen@c... 2001-03-12 19:59:49 UTC Re: Metal selection 101 ballendo@y... 2001-03-13 16:02:49 UTC saving yourself from yourself was Re: Metal selection 101 indigo_red@q... 2001-03-13 19:05:40 UTC saving yourself from yourself was Re: Metal selection 101