CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Laser

Tom Eldredge wrote:

> Can people really put together laser systems in their home shops?

Yes, but it is not for those not familiar with the intricacies of lasers.
Extremely stable mounts for the mirrors are a must. The mirrors are
expensive, and you will need extensive glassblowing experience.

> I have heard that the power supply needs are really challenging. Large
> capacitors etc. Can big capacitors be homemade if the physical size of the
> system is not an important factor?

This generally applies to pulsed Nitrogen lasers. The CO2 lasers use power
supplies much closer to what is used in the HeNe lasers, just scaled up.
Mostly, a power transistor inverter, step-up transformer, and a rectifier-multiplier
stack.

> How much do you think would it cost to be able to do engraving in wood, or
> build a 50 or 100 watt system like the one you saw, Jon?

I would think it would cost under $1000, assuming you had a precise plan to
follow. These may well exist, but I can't say for sure. Without a plan from
someone who had already done the hard part (that is, making all the mistakes
and adjustments the first time around) it could get into the tens of thousands,
depending on how many prototypes you had to go through before getting it
to work acceptably.

> Although I love creative machinery, I am not sure I could market the things
> it could do anyway, but I thought I would ask the above questions anyway.

Lasers in various condition are sold on eBay, and through other surplus outlets.
Keep your eyes open for a deal.

Jon Elson 2001-03-14 11:30:16 UTC Re: Laser ballendo@y... 2001-03-16 04:13:54 UTC Re: Laser Bob 2013-08-16 09:52:13 UTC Laser