CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ballscrew mounting

Posted by Joel Jacobs
on 2001-03-18 08:37:05 UTC
Hi Jeff,
I'm in about the same place with my mill/drill and I'll share my ideas for
the conversion with you. I got 48" of .75 X .200 screw from McMaster-Carr.
The thrust bearings on both axis will be just two stacked 5/8id deep groove
ball bearings with shims between the inner races. I will make new end
blocks to house the bearings and clamp the outer races. I will machine stub
shafts with a shoulder and threaded portion to fit the bearings. I will
attach the stubs to the screw by drilling about a 1" x .375 or .5" hole in
the end of the screws and a machining the stub for a slip fit and use 271
loctite to secure. The y axis will only be secured at one end. The x axis
will have these thrust bearings only at one end with the other (motor) end
exiting through a single ball bearing. With the thrust bearings oppisate
the motor end I will be able to fiddle with the shims without removing the
motor.
For mounting the nuts - On the x axis I'll make a block about 1" thick,
bore a hole in it and thread it to fit the nuts and thread a nut in each end
so there will be two nuts. I'll slot the block and put a bolt through so I
can clamp the nuts from turning after I get them adjusted.
I haven't figured out the y nut mounting yet because I can't see in there
very good. I need to take the machine apart and get some ideas. I do have
a single circuit nut that I was lucky to get with not more than .001 lash
and I'll use it on the y. I won't need to double nut that one. I may get
some half thou oversized balls and polish the screw till I get a real nice
fit.

Wish me luck!

Joel