CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Re: Can CNCPro users provide some input? and Fanuc vs CNCPro

Posted by Ray
on 2001-03-20 07:55:12 UTC
Randy

I'm not a cncopro user but I can respond to the EMC related portions of
these messages.

From: cnc002@...
<s>
>I looked at EMC and at DeskNCRT after they had been mentioned earlier,
>they are both nice but, the problem with both is that they are limited
>with regard to the codes they support. That is to say they have no
>parametric or variable support nor do they have subroutine support.
<s>

I guess that's what you get for JUST looking.

There is an entire page on linuxcnc.org on variable programming with the
EMC And Tom Kramer, the author of the interpreter speaks eloquently to
these issues in his web page manual to the interpreter. (RS274NGC -
mirrored on linuxcnc.org)

A variable is signified in the part program with the pound (#) sign. You
can use about 5000 variables in each program. The EMC also has extensive
computation included as a part of the RS274NGC language which will
approximate what I've seen some commercial CNC vendors refer to as
parametric programming.

From: cnc002@...
Subject: Re: FANUC vs CNCPro
<s>
>Using subroutines allows you to write a "program" and then call it up to
>be run in different locations on the machining table. This is useful when
>you have a lot of repetitions of the same contour on a part or you want to
>make multiples of the same part and have room on the machine table for
>more than one of the parts.

You are correct that the interpreter of the EMC does not run subroutines
or have any words used or reserved for that purpose. But most of what you
describe above can be accomplished in either of two ways with the EMC.
First you can simply set different coordinate systems and rerun the same
program at each. The EMC has 10 such systems in memory at the same time,
but you can treat these as common variables and change them at will in your
program. This is useful for things like flame tables and cutters or for
several vices or fixtures on a single table. Second would be to use the
subroutine script under the scripts menu of tkemc.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray 2001-03-20 07:55:12 UTC Re: Re: Re: Can CNCPro users provide some input? and Fanuc vs CNCPro