CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Borders

Posted by IMService
on 2001-03-24 05:48:22 UTC
> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:13:47 -0000
> From: jvicars@...
>Subject: Borders
>
>Is there a source for page borders in .dxf format, or is there a way
>to get "Word" borders exported somehow as .dxf ?
>Can anyone help with this?
>These borders will be cut around text to make plaques, etc.

A) From Word, insert the clipart border.

Select the border, Edit-Copy

B) Open DesignCad 3000 (Full 3D or Express versions - recently at CompUSA for $90!)

Edit Paste

Edit-Selection-Explode (this step is not necessary, but the colors are preserved when pasting into Vector)

Edit Copy(set the frame focus to the top view first)

C) Open Vector

Edit-Paste, set the scale and Z depth to the size and location you need, on the paste dialog.

Generate the Gcode

Note: My test file generated almost 8500 lines. I then ran the Vector re-organize function to combine any lines that had a common location. This is a fairly intensive activity in Vector, so I ran it on our Athlon 900MHZ machine. It took about 30 minutes, but reduced the total entity count to just 4700. Arc-Spline fitting further reduced the total entity count to 4300.

The particular pattern that I picked had a kind of Southwestern-diamond pattern. Each diamond had about 100+ entities. Had I selected just one of these, and had it repeat for each of the 40 instances, the entity count could have been dramatically reduced & just the repeating pattern & the locations at which to place each would have been sufficient. A Vector object would handle the collection or grouping, and a locating point for each occurance of the pattern. If your controller can automatically handle mirroring and /or rotations, about 200 lines of G-code. Or, Vector could generate each of the 4 side orientations and these could be called as subroutines/subprograms for the repetitions for each side. This method would result in about 500 lines of g-code.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService
Listserve Special discounts and offers are at: http://209.69.202.197/cadcamedmdro.html

imserv@... Voice:248-486-3600 or 800-386-1670 Fax: 248-486-3698

Discussion Thread

jvicars@c... 2001-03-23 04:13:49 UTC Borders Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-03-23 15:45:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Borders IMService 2001-03-24 05:48:22 UTC Re: Borders Ken n Donna Ballou 2001-03-25 06:41:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Borders