CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tethered satellites

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2001-04-02 00:24:59 UTC
At 06:49 02/04/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>I have no idea if it was something called a press duck in german
>but a few weeks ago ago I read in the news paper
>the NASA investigates to build a stationary satellite. connect it with a
>cable to the ground station and then instead of shooting rockets up into
>space
>would lift the satellites with a elevator.
>I cannot believe this would be in serious studies.

This was an idea dreamed up by Arthur C. Clarke in one of his books - if I
remember rightly, his version relied on the ability to produce cables made
from "monofilaments" of diamond crystal in order to get the required
tensile strength-to-weight ratio. Sounded fairly implausible when I read
the book, but then again, he did predict the communications satellite back
in the '30s or thereabouts.

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Jeffree 2001-04-02 00:24:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tethered satellites