CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 5V supply using game port/ XY joystick jogging

Posted by Tom Eldredge
on 2001-04-02 08:45:00 UTC
Game port pot use?

Some things to consider:

The newer computers are dropping the game port in favor of USB, are they
not?

The pot control of the game port is very crude, and unreliable. I have used
it for jog control and am turning away from it for safety reasons.

The CH products Game port board (ISA slot based) only works up to 600 mhz.
The newer computers are dropping the ISA slot too.

I suppose the game port could be used if some of the smart guys on this
forum developed a pci card which ran with better drivers than are normally
available.

On the other hand, I guess for hobby use, there will be PC motherboards
around with these features for another year or so. Then the consumer based
industry will leave us behind, or we will have to pay more for our
"industrial" PC motherboards.

Just some thoughts.

Tom