CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 3d Scanners at the Siggraph Show

Andrew Werby wrote:

> From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
>
> I just came back from the Siggraph expo and convention in LA last week
> (this is the big show of the year for computer graphics types), where there
> were a number of 3-d scanning systems being demonstrated. Being curious
> about this, and also sensitive to cost factors, I made a point of comparing
> systems, features, and prices, so while it's all fairly fresh in my mind I
> thought I'd share my impressions of what I saw.

Thanks so much for the review. I had this idea of franchising 'portrait sculpture
studios' that would digitize a head or bust, and then mill them out on a 4-axis
CNC mill. I guess it might be getting close to reality, but still out of my price
range. I first hoped that one of the programs that produces a mesh from
several photos from different angles would do, but after looking at web sites
and exchanging email with a few of them, they all pretty much admitted their
programs couldn't handle it. One outfit that DID have a digitized head admitted
their (very up to speed on the program) technician spent 8 hours correlating
points on several views of the face, and then they faked the back of the head.
And, I suspect that most of these laser jobs are NOT eye-safe, so the BRDH
(Hmm, that sounds wrong, Bureau of Radiological Devices and Health, or
something like that) won't let you scan a face (or maybe even any body part).

I still suspect that some sort of setup that projects a grid of light on the person's
face would do, with appropriate software.

Andrew Werby 1999-08-21 08:40:05 UTC 3d Scanners at the Siggraph Show Jon Elson 1999-08-21 21:34:45 UTC Re: 3d Scanners at the Siggraph Show Robert N Ash 1999-08-22 09:13:08 UTC Re: 3d Scanners at the Siggraph Show