CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal)

Posted by Jeff Swayze
on 2001-04-04 09:47:59 UTC
Jeff brought up a good point, but I'd like to see some discussion in
general about the use of coolants.

I'm approaching the hump of my mill/drill CNC conversion and I have
just started thinking about cooling and chip/swarf removal. How have
you folks dealt with this issue? Assuming you're going with a flood
system, it seems like you'd need:
* A splash guard around the table (attached to the head or the table?)
* Obviously a pump, nozzle, and reservoir
* Some way to collect the swarf/coolant mix - a hole drilled in the
bottom of the table? Just let it run over the edges? This is the one
that stumps me

I've also seen the mist coolant systems, which seem like they'd be
less messy, but you still have to get the chips out of the way of the
cutter.

How do YOU do it?

Thanks,

Jeff Swayze

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., rocketsmith@n... wrote:
> One problem I've seen mentioned on several websites is the need to
> periodically stop a machine tool to remove cuttings or"swarf" which
> builds up on the ways of the tool and has to be cleared. I've been
> gutting a lot of old printers for steppers and electronics, and it
> occured to me that the tractor paper drive from an old printer
would
> make a nice basis for a conveyor belt to remove swarf as it is
> produced. This would be especially adaptable to lathes, where a
porous
> belt- made from a nylon mesh bag, say for potatoes- located under
> the bed would move the swarf out past the chip tray and dump it in
> hopper. A porous belt would allow for coolant to fall through and
be
> recirculated. The larger diameter rubber paper rollers might be
useful
> if you wanted your swarf conveyor to go over the ways and return
under
> the bed. A DPDT relay could turn on the conveyor at the same time
the
> coolant pump is activated.
>

> Thanks for being here to help,
>
> Jeff Hayes

Discussion Thread

rocketsmith@n... 2001-04-04 02:31:19 UTC Swarf Removal Marcus & Eva 2001-04-04 07:59:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Swarf Removal e.heritage@b... 2001-04-04 08:25:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Swarf Removal Jeff Swayze 2001-04-04 09:47:59 UTC Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal) Jon Elson 2001-04-04 11:33:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal) Smoke 2001-04-04 11:57:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal) A. G. Eckstein 2001-04-04 15:58:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal)