CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal)

Jeff Swayze wrote:

> Jeff brought up a good point, but I'd like to see some discussion in
> general about the use of coolants.
>
> I'm approaching the hump of my mill/drill CNC conversion and I have
> just started thinking about cooling and chip/swarf removal. How have
> you folks dealt with this issue? Assuming you're going with a flood
> system, it seems like you'd need:
> * A splash guard around the table (attached to the head or the table?)

I have made sevaral things. I have a wrap-around 'clamshell' sort of
shield made of plexiglas, that fits into the table slots, to recycle the drips.
it is necessary with large milling cutters, as they sling huge quantities
of aluminum all over the place.

I also have a pair of plates cut with the outline of the vise, so it fits
around the front and rear of the vise, sits in the table slots, and catches
practically all splashes.

Finally, I have pieces of Plexiglas scrap in assorted rectangular shapes,
that can be shoved into table slots as needed. I end up using this the
most, as it is the most flexible, and gives the best access to the machine.

> * Obviously a pump, nozzle, and reservoir

See bottom picture of
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/CNCconv.html
to see my reservoir, pump, filter, etc.

In the top picture of
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/sharpen.html
The blue thing is part of a Loc-Line nozzle set, which I highly
recommend. I have it connected to a valve normally used to
shut off the water to a toilet tank. That is attached to a rod that
fits the depth rod hole on the right side of the Bridgeport head.

> * Some way to collect the swarf/coolant mix - a hole drilled in the
> bottom of the table? Just let it run over the edges? This is the one
> that stumps me

Bridgeport tables have galleys at each end of the table slots, and these
galleys have pipe thread holes. You put right angle fittings in these
holes and connect plastic tubing back to the reservoir.

I've been

> > gutting a lot of old printers for steppers and electronics, and it
> > occured to me that the tractor paper drive from an old printer
> would
> > make a nice basis for a conveyor belt to remove swarf as it is
> > produced.

It takes a LOT of engineering and fiddling to make chip conveyors
work. Except in a fully enclosed machine, I don't think it makes much
sense.

rocketsmith@n... 2001-04-04 02:31:19 UTC Swarf Removal Marcus & Eva 2001-04-04 07:59:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Swarf Removal e.heritage@b... 2001-04-04 08:25:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Swarf Removal Jeff Swayze 2001-04-04 09:47:59 UTC Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal) Jon Elson 2001-04-04 11:33:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal) Smoke 2001-04-04 11:57:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal) A. G. Eckstein 2001-04-04 15:58:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Coolant Question (was Re: Swarf Removal)