CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joystick connections

on 2001-04-07 11:58:47 UTC
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the URL's. Funny thing this midi stuff just came up. My
youngest son (senior in HS) just grabbed my Ensoniq keyboard, and an old
midi extension cable I made up, and is making tracks for his animated
film strip. The good side is, I get his old slow, 400 Mhz Pentium II
(?) ! So now, after I find some PC100 SDRAM, I might have a new PC for
EMC!

Using the MIDI channel might be useful! Let's see what you come up
with!

Alan KM6VV

Brian Pitt wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> it does at least partly conform to the standard they just cramed in
> the MIDI port on two of the extra power pins
>
> the oldest documentation on the game port I found was a programing
> book from 1984 (for the Original PC) that lists the pinout as
>
> pins 1,8,9,15 = +5V (both outermost pairs)
> pins 4,5,12 = gnd (three in the center)
>
> pin-3 = analog-1 = bit-0 of port 0x201
> pin-6 = analog-2 = bit-1
> pin-11 = analog-3 = bit-2
> pin-13 = analog-4 = bit-3
>
> pin-2 = digital-1 = bit-4
> pin-7 = digital-2 = bit-5
> pin-10 = digital-3 = bit-6
> pin-14 = digital-4 = bit-7
>
> MIDI is a serial port usualy at 0x330 (MPU-401 compatable)
> with its own command set and protocol
> check out
> MIDI adapter for the game port schematics
> http://www.whiten.co.uk/midi.html
> http://www.mupro.de/joy_midi.htm
> or for soundblaster (diffrent pinouts again!)
> http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/hardware/pc_intfc.htm
> and
> and some info on the MIDI protocol
> http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/
>
> I've seen at least one article on hacking the midi protocol for
> some other use ,so maybe it could be hijacked for machine control
> possibly to comunicate with a PIC chip as an external PLC?
>
> hmmm...
> Brian
>
> On Friday 06 April 2001 22:38, you wrote:
> > Hi to the List,
> >
> > I found out that not all joystick cables/interfaces define the pins the
> > same! I have power on pin 8, which appears not to be standard! And pin
> > 7 is a switch, not power. So here's a list of pinouts I found, and the
> > site with more information.

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-04-06 22:37:38 UTC Joystick connections Doug Fortune 2001-04-06 22:59:57 UTC Joystick connections Brian Pitt 2001-04-07 00:20:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joystick connections Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-04-07 00:27:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joystick connections Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-04-07 11:58:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Joystick connections