CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [yeagerautomation] Next step for hobby CNC

Posted by Joe Vicars
on 2001-04-11 11:02:56 UTC
Alan, you make some good points but the problem is that a 4 axis robot
arm doesnt behave the same way as a mill or lathe. A linear move requires a
complex set of geometric relationships (the sum of 4 simultaneous angular
moves). (in fact i'm not even sure if I can do it with only 4 axis)
By using this "recording" system that I am talking about you "trick" a
standard 4 axis control into manipulating a robot arm without having to work
out all the math.
In other words the control is only recording the motor motion, it has no Idea
what the actual welding head is doing. This is why a digitizer wouldn't
work. The system would have to record the actual motor motion. It would'nt
be able to reconstruct the path from a set of points.
So my system would be impossible to program without this learning
(recording) function, or writing your own software to convert the spherical
coordinate system to cartesian. Which is too much for me as I know squat
about software.
The alternative would be to build the robot as a cartesian machine and
use standard controlls. But I dont' think this would give me the degree of
freedom I am looking for.
Thanks for your feedback.